These gluten-free, dairy-free Crepe Quiches were born a little over a year ago and were inspired by Alton Brown. In his quiche episode he tosses crepes into muffin tins, fills them with a mixture of egg, veggies and meat, and voila—elegant mini quiches.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mini Crepe Quiches
Gluten-Free | Casein-Free | Citrus-Free | Easily Corn-Free | Dairy-Free | Fish-Free | Nightshade-Free | Peanut-Free | Potato-Free | Rice-Free | Shellfish-Free | Soy-Free | Tree Nut-Free | Wheat-Free | Sesame-Free | Sweetener-Free | Yeast-free | GFCF | Vegetarian
Makes: Approximately 18 individual quiches
FOR THE CREPES
6 large EGGS, room temp
1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened NON-DAIRY MILK, room temp
3 tablespoons OIL (I use Spectrum palm shortening, melted but not hot)
1-1/3 cups QUINOA FLAKES
1/3 cup TAPIOCA STARCH
1/2 teaspoon SEA SALT
FOR THE FILLING
1-1/4 cups unsweetened NON-DAIRY MILK
1 teaspoon SALT
1/2 teaspoon PEPPER
2 tablespoons all-purpose GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR
1 cup cooked MEAT, chopped and/or cubed
1-1/2 cups VEGETABLES of choice, chopped and/or cubed
Daiya Shreds or grated cheese, if tolerated (optional)
- Add ingredients to blender in above order. Blend to combine. Let mixture rest 3-5 minutes to allow quinoa flakes to soften. Blend at medium speed until super smooth. Gently tap bottom of blender on counter to release bubbles that form.
- Heat non-stick crepe pan (Note: see this crepes post for cooking tips) over medium-low to medium heat. Wipe pan with a well-oiled paper towel. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter into pan and swirl to coat bottom of pan to form a 5-6″ crepe, continuing to swirl as batter sets.
- When top of crepe is almost dry to the touch, flip and cook for another 5 seconds. Transfer crepe to plate. Repeat until all batter is used up. Should make 18 to 20 5-6″ crepes.
- Line 18 muffin tins (oiled if not non-stick) with crepes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- In medium bowl, toss meat and vegetables with flour. Divide this mixture evenly among crepe cups. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk, salt, and pepper and whisk until thoroughly combined. Spoon 3 tablespoons of egg mixture over meat and vegetable-filled crepe cups. Top with Daiya or cheese, if desired.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until egg mixture is set and cooked through.
- Meat and vegetable suggestions: Ham, crisp bacon bits, cooked sauasage, chopped fresh spinach, diced tomatoes, chopped broccoli, sliced mushrooms, sundried tomatoes.
- Make these vegetarian by replacing the measure of meat with additional veggies.