I love smoothies for the reason that they can pack and hide so much in them. In this Peter Rabbit Smoothie a whole handful of parsley is camouflaged by a host of other vegetables and fruit.
The grievous events taking place in Japan, the flu that besieged our home this week, and Sunday’s time change have left me a little out of sorts. I have felt a special need for a “pick-me-up.”
Feeding of the spirit has helped as has nourishing the body—with green smoothies.
I love smoothies for the simple reason that they can pack and hide so much in them. In this smoothie a whole handful of parsley is camouflaged by a host of other vegetables and fruit. It’s frosty, creamy and tastes like anything but vegetables or … parsley.
Parsley is the world’s most popular herb and it’s benefits go beyond freshening of the breath.
- The chlorophyll in parsley is known to purify and rejuvenate the tissues of the body—notably the liver and kidneys.
- Parsley is a member of the umbelliferous vegetable group (others in the group include; Caraway, Carrot, Celery, Cilantro, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Parsley and Parsnip). In their research, The National Cancer Institute has identified the dozen, or so, foods with the highest anti-cancer activity. Umbelliferous vegetables are among them.
- Parsley is an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, several B Vitamins and Vitamin K. It boosts the immune system, helping to fend off infection, colds and disease—and the FLU!
- When Peter Rabbit overindulged in Mr. McGregor’s garden, he went looking for parsley to ease his aching belly. One smart bunny. He knew that parsley aided digestion.
So take a tip from Peter Rabbit. Add some parsley to your diet … and what better a way than in a green smoothie.
Peter Rabbit’s Smoothie
Gluten-Free | Casein-Free | Easily Citrus-Free | Corn-Free | Dairy-Free | Egg-Free | Fish-Free | Nightshade-Free | Peanut-Free | Potato-Free | Rice-Free |Shellfish-Free | Soy-Free | Wheat-Free | Grain-Free | Sesame-Free | Easily Sweetener-Free | Yeast-free | GFCF | Vegetarian | Easily Vegan | Raw
Active Time: 3 minutes
1 large handful SPINACH
1 small handful PARSLEY
1/2 small ZUCCHINI
1/2 PEAR, quartered and seeded
1 small handful raw CASHEW NUTS
1 tablespoon CHIA SEED or MEAL
1 cup WATER
1-2 cups ICE
Optional: Splash LEMON JUICE
Optional: SWEETENER (stevia, honey or natural sweetener of choice)
1. Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender, except ice, until super smooth.
2. Add ice and blend until smooth.
1 If you are new to green smoothies, you may want to add an entire banana and pear or sweeten with your choice of sweetener.
2. Use organic produce as much as possible. Peel any non-organic fruits and veggies.
3. To ease digestion, cashews may be soaked 4-6 hours and rinsed well.