As my collection of essential oils grew, it quickly became clear that I needed a dedicated essential oils storage spot in the house—one that was accessible, attractive and affordable.
Essential oils storage dilemma—solved!
When I ventured into the world of therapeutic grade essential oils I had planned on buying a bottle or two, tops. As it turns out I gott a little carried away and have built up a sizeable collection. As my collection of essential oils grew, it quickly became clear that I needed a dedicated essential oils storage spot in the house—and so I began searching for a storage solution that was accessible, attractive and affordable. This DIY essential oils rack fit the bill.
DIY Distressed Essential Oils Storage Rack
An added bonus of this rack is that though the original spice rack only had three shelves, pieces of square dowel added three more—like stadium seating for your growing oil collection!
What You Will Need:
- Spice Rack
- Wood (square) dowels
- Liquid Nails
- Paint (sample size will do)
- Sheet Fine Sand Paper
- Paint Brush
- Find an old school style wood spice rack like the one pictured below—I got mine at Goodwill for $1.
- Head to Home Depot and buy a 1×1-inch square wood dowel(s) (is a dowel a dowel if it’s square? Not sure what to call it)—enough length to fit the width of each shelf. Tip: Home Depot will gladly cut wood to the length for you. So if you don’t have a saw, give them the exact measurements and have them do the cutting.
- Give the spice rack a good sanding with fine sand paper. Give the dowels a gentle sanding.
- Grab the bottle of liquid nails and apply just enough to cover bottoms of cut dowels and adhere flush to the back of the spice rack shelves. Let dry.
- Slap on some paint.
- When paint is almost dry, take your sand paper and scuff up the paint a bit for a distressed effect.
- Voila! Done.
This rack fits most standard-size essential oil bottles. Before selecting your dowel size, however, I suggest measuring your spice rack shelf and then choosing a dowel width that would leave enough room for the width of the bottles.
If you are interested in exploring the world of essential oils or would like to order or sell Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils, drop me a line via the Contact page or visit my store.